Monday, March 28, 2016

Social Contexts of Media Viewing


I am answering question number 2: 

Social context plays a major role in how we consume and interpret different types of media. For instance, the social context that we are currently immersed in and the social context of say the main character of a movie or show can influence what we get out of the media we view. For example, when I watch "Beyond the Lights" a movie about a girl who rises to pop-star infamy, and how all the fame and "flashing lights" begins to rapidly affect her mental health and sanity, to the point that she almost commits suicide. Then a handsome young police officer saves her from falling and from the destructive world around her. While I have no idea what its like to rise to fame with my beautiful pop-like voice (yet ;)) it opened my eyes to the possible pressure and social anxiety that celebrities are under. And I could also relate it to the social pressure I feel to succeed in school, career, and life. Constantly having to be "on" can affect any human being and make anyone feel like they can't be themselves or make mistakes. Comparing this movie to say "Allegiant" which takes place in a completely different post-apocalyptic social context, where a girl fights against a apathetic and tyrannical group of people to her city and the people she loves. None of us know what its like to live in a post-apocalyptic Chicago but it can teach us to speak up against oppression and not just blindly follow leaders because they say you should. Our social contexts and realities compared to the ones in movies can influence how we view and relate to that media.

Social context of where we view movies also influences our experience of that media. Using the two movies I mentioned previously, I watched "Beyond the Lights" on Netflix and I watched "Allegiant" in theaters. With "Beyond the Lights" I was at home on my laptop. I'm a multitasker, so usually when I view media at home I am doing others things like, looking up things on the internet, scrolling through social media, etc. I'm not "fully" immersed in what I am watching and that influences what and how much I experience from that media. I still know what the movie is about and what is going on, I just do not commit my full attention to it. But with "Allegiant" theaters are specifically designed to completely immerse your senses and attention in the atmosphere and setting of the movie. This article talks about how temporarily impairing sight and peripheral senses can change the focus of audiences senses which can ultimately give them a whole new experience compared to just watching a movie on a TV. The dark room with dim lights, the film playing out on a giant screen along with the bass and clear crisp surround sound of all the blasts and explosive action really changes the entire sensory experience of a movie compared to watching it on a laptop with speakers. That's probably why you get those intense feelings of power and strength after walking out of an action movie. You weren't just watching a movie you were dipped and engulfed into a different world which can be  a very visceral experience.



6 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you pointed out the effects that watching a movie in theaters compared to at home can have. I never really thought about it, but when I watch a movie that I really want to see, I turn off all the lights and I watch it at night in the dark and I watch with some rather expensive headphones that I have so that I am entirely focused on the movie that I am watching. I think that definitely does result in being more entranced with the movie than when I just watch one while browsing the internet or playing Hearthstone (it's a card game, haha). Great points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very true. My Netflix queue has a lot in it because I almost sometimes don't want to start any new movies or shows because I will have to commit my full attention to it to understand the plot and characters, while a TV show that I am already familiar with I dont have to really pay much attention to.

      Delete
  2. I really like the way you went about answering this! It's hard to explain sometimes when you see a movie that you feel like you relate to, but you don't DIRECTLY relate to. So you kind of indirectly relate to it. Like you said, you don't directly relate to the pressures of being a celebrity, but it reminded you of the various pressures in your own life. But if you just said "I relate to this movie" without any explanation, people probably wouldn't understand how you relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You explain stuff so well more than I can but when you were explaining social context in movies and like beyond the lights it made more and more sense and I love that movie by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have watched a movie at the theater and enjoyed it, and then tried to watch it again at home and it wasn't nearly as enjoyable. I never thought about what your article states, that depriving yourself of anything else to focus on can really change the way that you experience and react to a movie, but it makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete